I learned to drive when I was 5 years old. I would sit on my grandpa's lap and drive his pickup on the gravel roads in South Dakota. It didn't take too long to find gravel roads, only about 5 minutes outside of the town. When I was finally old enough to legally drive, my mom took me out to the gravel roads in Iowa and I learned to drive a stick shift. It took a bit longer than 5 minutes to find the gravel roads, but not too far. Cedar Rapids is where I went to high school and the city (as with most of the cities in Iowa) are surrounded by deep farm country. Every which way you look there are either rows of corn or soy beans.
Madison is only a few months away from being 15 and being able to get her learner's permit (Oh GOD, that seriously hurt just to write that). We made a quick trip to Iowa to visit my mom in July and while I was out searching for the perfect old barn to photograph, Madi jumped into the seat and began to drive.
On Iowa gravel roads.
A stop at Dairy Queen was a must considering we don't have them in Oklahoma.
She did well. She didn't wreck. Most importantly, she reminded me about how much I miss those Iowa gravel roads.
1 comment:
We have taken Quinn out to Tony's parents, so if you need a country place for some more practice, just let us know!
Post a Comment