Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Do you know the Mitten Man?

Do you know
the Mitten Man,
the Mitten Man,
Do you know the
Mitten Man,
who lives on Drury Lane?

We have had to pull out the newborn mittens to keep Spencer from scratching his head. He has eczema all over his scalp and he has scalped himself! As if having the GERD wasn't enough, now we have eczema to try and combat.



Below are some of the battle scars that he has left upon himself.




Sometimes at night he is able to get the mittens off and he just digs in! We find blood underneath of his fingernails in the morning. Poor little guy.




So I am convinced that all of the "They Sayers" are going to come after me. "They" say not feed your child solids before 4 months of age. Well, Spencer has been on cereal since he was 5 1/2 weeks. "They" say to start putting your baby down into the crib while he is awake to promote good sleep habits. Well, Spencer has to be kept upright after his feedings, so he falls asleep in my arms. He surely isn't going to stay awake for 1/2 hour to have his little cheeks touch cold sheets; he is going to snuggy up to mommy and fall asleep since she has to hold him for at least 1/2 hour after he eats! AND now, "They" say to let baby experience all kinds of touch and put things into his mouth to learn about textures. Well, Spencer has mittens on his hands, so how in the heck is going to experience different textures. If nothing else he will know the different fabrics used to create his mittens. So, I am convinced that the "They Sayers" are going to come after me for doing everything NOT by the book!

The picture below has nothing to do with the above post. It is simply to cute to pass up. Harley desperately wants to fit into the boppy. He hasn't figured out he is the length of a basset hound and weighs 40 pounds. Needless to say, he still tries to squeeze his body into the boppy, no matter how uncomfortable it might be.





2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so sorry. I hope the eczema gets better. Damon still deals with it and it's a constant scratching battle. We used Aveeno for awhile and that was working well, they have a soap and a lotion that are for eczema, and I have some if you want to try it. The only thing I will warn you about is it can cause an allergy to oats. (At least this is what our allergist told us, but I'm not so sure how great of an allergist she is, we're changing). Let me know if you want to try it, I have plenty you could have. I also use cetaphil soap on him now. I was using the lotion too and it was great but then I found it it has almond oil in it and since he's allergic to tree nuts we stopped. If I find any new eczema tricks I'll let you know. Oh, and everyone Dr. will tell you something different about bathing. In fact I've had the same Dr. tell me 2 different things, some have told us only bath 1 time a week and no more, others have said soak in the tub every other day in warm, not hot water. The soaking seemed to be the best as long as we put lotion on immediately after. Hope this help.

Becky said...

Throw the book away...each child is different and so the "They Sayers" can just go jump off a bridge.