Monday, June 7, 2010

Grandma Colleen

My Grandma Colleen was a very special lady. I have many memories of her, but there are some more dear to my heart than others. She finally has peace in her heart and no more pain, may she breath easier in heaven.
Before Justin and I had children, we had two mini schnauzers, Doc and Katie. I swear Katie was Grandma's dog in another life. The first time Grandma Colleen visited us, Katie was so excited that she peed. The trend continued throughout Katie's life, she literally couldn't contain herself around Grandma. Katie bonded with my Grandma and they always found comfort in another. Grandma always allowed Katie to crawl up and lay on her lap and Katie was always very gentle.

When Madison came along she was colicky. I had a rough time with her, but Grandma Colleen had a magic touch. She could always calm and sooth her with the special pat on the butt. I owe a lot to Grandma Colleen. When I was in my hardest semester in college (21 hard science classes), Justin got deployed to England. Madison was 18 months old. Grandma Colleen came to live with me for over a month. She took care of Madison, cooked, cleaned and took care of me. She even helped me study for my microbiology final. During this time she also taught me how to cook "old school." I would have been lost without her help and I was always very grateful to her.

Unfortunately it took us awhile to have another baby, so when Spencer came along, Grandma Colleen was much older and slower. He still loved to smile at her. This is the only picture I have of her and Spencer together. So, when I take a gazillion pictures of those dearest to my heart, please don't get upset when I ask for "just one more picture."

2 comments:

Becky said...

Beautiful post! My heart aches for you.

Shyla said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandma. I'm glad you guys had a safe trip.