Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Manners

This week has been stressful to say the least. Preparing Madison for Jr. High and Spencer's 2 year appointment, short staffed at work, preparing for the huge consignment sale and scrapbook convention this weekend has put me onto the OCD planet. If you don't believe me, just ask Justin.
Madison got her schedule on Monday and there were problems with it, so I called the counselor to find out what went wrong and left a message. That night I sent an e-mail.
Last night was orientation and it was mass chaos. Trying to meet teachers, unlock lockers, track down the counselor (never did find her) and sign up for PTA put me into a frazzle. It wasn't because it was hot or because there were tons of people, it was the complete lack of respect and manners that the PARENTS showed toward the principal and other parents.
Where have manners gone?
Here are some notes that I have taken over the last few days.
  • When you are in a line to meet the teacher, it is customary not to cut in front of everyone else because your son was in his/her class last year.
  • When the principal is speaking to the parents with a microphone, but I can't hear her over all of the parents in the back talking, it is rude.
  • When someone calls you to leave a message and also sends an e-mail, it is appropriate to return the phone call or e-mail. Even if you don't have the answer, at least acknowledge that you received the message.
  • If you are walking out the door, it is polite to hold the door, so it doesn't crash into the person behind you.
  • If you are complaining about the dress code, you, as a parent, should look in the mirror. A cami with no bra and pajama pants are NOT appropriate attire for school.

So, to all of the teachers out there: I am sorry that you have to deal with rude, disrespectful and idiot parents. You all know they exist and many of you have probably had to deal with them.

Thank you, I feel better now.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Great post! I second that motion!