Monday, November 8, 2010

A Great Arm

Out of the hundreds of toy options that Spencer has, his favorite is a ball. Any kind of ball. He is simply fascinated by them. He has no qualms about throwing them either. He will throw them in the house or outside. He will throw small ones, medium ones, large ones and balls he can't pick up he will kick. If it isn't a ball, but it can be thrown like one, it will be.

Upon picking him up from daycare one of the dad's comments to me was, "he has a really good arm! I have never seen someone so young that can throw like he does." Great compliment right? My response was, "Do you know how many times he gets put in a corner everyday for throwing?" Unfortunately, it is true. Timeouts don't work. The nose in the corner works for a bit, but not long. The boy doesn't get it or simply doesn't care. He is going to throw anything and everything that resembles a ball.



This weekend's paper was filled with the toy catalogs from Target, Walmart and Toys R Us. I thought it would be fun to start looking through them for ideas for Spencer. I sat at the table with sharpie at hand ready to circle away. I came across a Weeble set. Cute, age appropriate...wait, he would throw the weebles. Nope. Every possibility that I came across, my mind immediately looked for the parts that could and would be thrown. Our wish list was limited to books, a sit and spin and legos. Legos technically can and will be thrown, but since he actually builds and stacks them, I let that one slide. I did find the perfect gift for him..... a nubby sensory ball.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I swear he and Ash are cut from the same cloth. Love it!

Clay said...

Excellent ... it is great to be uncle Clay who lets him be a boy ... wait is this why we don't get to babysit very often?? His catching is also coming along nicely.