- Christmas items on shelves the day after Halloween (I HATE THIS)
- "Holly Jolly Christmas" being played over the load speaker of your favorite super-center, mall or department store before Thanksgiving.
- Black Friday - which has now really turned into Black Week. Deals galore the days before Thanksgiving, the frenzie that follows on Friday and the insanity of it all.
- Attending your Christmas party, your spouse's Christmas party, kids Christmas parties.
- Playing Silly Santa, Dirty Santa, Secret Santa or any other kind of Santa other than the one that arrives on Christmas day.
- Bringing a dish for the office pot-luck.
- Getting the Christmas photo taken.
- Getting photo cards taken.
- Writing out the annual Christmas letter.
- Stuffing an envelope full of photos, letters, cards and then yes - LICKING the ENVELOPE. Seriously haven't done that in years. The thought of the Seinfeld episode still lingers in my head.
- Baking cookies and breads for every single person under the sun. I love to bake, love to bake, love to bake. But I'm OCD, I want everything perfect, which means no helpers in the kitchen.
- Buying teacher gifts, office mate gifts, and day care teacher gifts.
- Eating way too much. Think about the enormous amount of food that is constantly around from Thanksgiving through Christmas partially due to #11. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat it all, thus, the problem.
- Spending, spending, spending. Does anyone make a budget anymore and does anyone really know how much they spend (see posts above on all the little things). Small gifts add up quickly when you have buy for 10+ people. Baking ingredients are expensive when you bake for a small army. Photos, letterhead and OMG the cost of Christmas cards.
- Christmas lights. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the lights. I am taking about the one neighbor (or more) that everyone has that is related to Clark Griswald. Enough said?
SO NOW WHAT?
If you have read this far and if you were in the holiday spirit, you are probably not now. NEGATIVE right? Not so much. Maybe you do some of these things. Maybe you do all of these things. Maybe you are able to go through this month with all of the excess and never get stressed out. Well, for me I am making POSITIVE changes. So, now what?
This year we are going to:
- We are NOT going to do most of the things listed above.
- Make cut out sugar cookies with the kids. They cut out whatever they like, decorate them however they like and eat them while they are still warm.
- Buy gifts for our family and family only.
- Curl up on the couch and watch the great Christmas movies together.
- Drive around and look at the Christmas lights, even all of the Griswald families out there.
- Make hand-made ornaments.
- Wrap gifts together and however the kiddos want (even with an excessive amount of tape)
- Sit with my family on Christmas Eve and listen to Christmas music.
- Assisting families that are need of help, we all know lots of them are out there.
- ENJOY Christmas for what it is.
4 comments:
Preach it sista! I totally agree. This year Clay and I aren't really doing Christmas. We bought the house and that's our Christmas to each other and then going to my sister's is our gift to the family.
I think I have a pretty good balance this year. This has been very low stress compared to years past.
I'm proud of you for making the hard decisions that will benefit you and yours. You won't regret it.
You said what I've thought... and inspired me to take action!! AWESOME!!!!! :)
just what Rich and I have been talking about... it's so much... and the expectations are sooo high.. why can't it be just family being together for family time and good old fashioned christmas movies..
Post a Comment