Saturday, January 1, 2011

San Antonio, Texas

Our family and my mom hopped in the van and headed south to San Antonio. My aunt and two cousins flew in from New Mexico to meet us.
On Monday Justin, Madison, my cousin Kelsey and myself headed to Sea World. I have mixed thoughts about it. We did a dolphin encounter so we were able to touch, feed and rub down a Pacific Coast dolphin named Kai. I LOVED this, highlight of the trip!
A lot of the park was closed because of the cooler temperatures and let's face it, who wants to get wet when it is only 50 degrees outside. Not me. The two large roller coasters were open and Justin decided the best way to heal his back was with a very large and winding roller coaster. After reading the ride restrictions (which included "do not ride if you have back injuries"), him and Madison got in line and only waited 5 minutes. One of the perks of visiting in the off season, little to no wait times.

We decided to go to an authentic Mexican restaurant and ended up at Pico de Gallo. My van only sits seven people and we had eight. We made it work. Notice how Spencer is really confused as to why my cousin Mark was "sitting" in the middle. Thank goodness, we didn't have to go far.

The restaurant had a Mariachi band playing throughout the restaurant (for a small fee of course) and Spencer was fixed on finding, watching and listening to them play while we waited for our food. We asked them to play something upbeat, thus, "The Chicken Dance" was played right behind Spencer. He was more interested in chowing down on his rice than watching. It was very entertaining.

While we were at Sea World, my mom, aunt and cousin Mark took Spencer down to the Riverwalk. He loved the boats and getting pushed around in the stroller.

Tuesday came with rain, LOTS OF IT. It rained the entire day. We went out with intentions of seeing the Alamo. We saw it after buying ponchos and the local gift shop. I honestly think that 75% of the people in the Alamo were only there because it was DRY. Holy cow it was wet. We were all soaked and hungry, so we headed to the Riverwalk Center Mall for lunch. So, the chances of finding someplace to eat at lunch time for eight people in the only dry place in town are slim to none. OH, did I mention there was a small football game the next day called the ALAMO BOWL and 50,000 Oklahoma State fans were also in San Antonio? An hour wait at Chili's. Next door was Hooters. Immediate seating....we will take it!

Here's my thoughts on Hooters. I had never been to one before. My cousin Mark enjoyed the view (sorry, but I had to throw that in). The food was great, cheap and the service was the best (I'm not kidding here folks). PLUS, they had a CLEAN diaper changing station in the women's restroom while I have yet to find a Wendy's that has one. Just sayin'.


Wednesday was game day and it was dry, so we headed out to do as much sightseeing as possible before Spencer needed a nap. We did finally get to see the Alamo, yeah, it's there. I actually LOVED San Fernando's Cathedral. A-MA-ZINGly beautiful.


These were a few of the many prayer candles in the cathedral.

Kelsey, Connie (my mom), Spencer and Mark all taking a break from walking outside of the cathedral.


The whole crew in OSU "ORANGE POWER" before the game. Kelsey, Connie, Mark, Nancy (my aunt), Madison and Justin. Spencer and I stayed back at the hotel and watched the Disney channel.
As with any vacation, we were happy to come home, but everything was an experience and I am glad we went.

4 comments:

Natashia said...

Sounds like you had a great time.
Hooters is supposed to be a family friendly restaurant, so I'm not surprised about the restroom thing. ;-)

Shyla said...

Looks like a great trip. Glad you had a good time :)!

Becky said...

Looks like you had a great time. I love the pic of Spencer with the Hooters girl...believe it or not, I have not ever been to one. Maybe I'll go check it out after your review.

Clay said...

Sounds like fun ... glad you made it back safe.