Spencer had tubes put in his ears in 2009. We have seen the ENT about every 6 months since. Our last visit was in December in which the doctor said that he thought his tubes were getting ready to come out.
Today was his check up and the tube in his right ear appeared to be out, but he couldn't tell in his left ear. He asked if it was ok if he went in and cleaned out the ears to confirm that the tubes were out and the eardrums had healed. He said that it wouldn't hurt, it would just be scary for Spencer, but I could stay in the room with him, so I agreed.
We were taken into another room where a papoose board awaited Spencer. One look at that thing and DUH, yeah, it isn't kinda scary, it is flat out horrifying!
I understand the concept behind it, it immobilizes a terrified child.
Now, don't let this picture fool you. I truly believe that this is a dummy doll and not a real child. NO CHILD would like being put in this thing.
Spencer clung to me and the two nurses peeled his arms away and strapped him in.
Spencer cried and cried, "mama, I want to hold you" he said over and over. Whenever he wants me to pick him up, that's what he says. He doesn't say, "mama, hold me" he says "I want to hold you."
The crying continued as the doctor began to pull some nasty stuff out of his ears (eeeewwwwww) and then there was a SCREAM. A holy terror scream and Spencer yelling that it hurt.
What happened to, "it won't hurt him" part? Bullllllllll
Spencer was in pain.
The poor baby suffered through this in both ears and it was finally over.
All the gunk and tubes were out.
Spencer held onto me like a baby chimp hanging onto its mama's back. He would not let go of me and could barely breathe. I could barely pay my co-pay or get the van door opened up.
I felt awful.
It was done and over with and his ears are fine. I just was not prepared for that.

2 comments:
Wow! How scary for little man. I'm glad it is over tho and his ears are fine! No more digging in his ears!!!
How crazy! But I'm glad the whole thing is over with!!
Post a Comment