Thursday, October 16, 2008

GERD Part II

The past couple of weeks have been exhausting to say the least. I am finishing up my second week of work and Justin is working on midterms. There is simply never enough time to sleep. Spencer began having stomach issues again last week. He has had three episodes of throwing up while on his back. One of these times he was gagging and choking on it. A different time he was asleep in his crib and woke up covered in vomit. I have spoken with the nurse at the pediatrician two times last week, but they attributed the sickness to his vaccines. Justin and I started documenting his vomiting and his pain attacks (blood curling screams and cries) and it was evident to us that something was wrong.
We went back to the pediatrician today and Spencer has sleep apnea (caused by the GERD) and the Zantac alone isn't helping, so he added a second medicine today. The second medicine is supposed to speed up the emptying of his stomach to hopefully prevent it from coming back up. Spencer is sleeping in his swing again, so we don't have any more episodes of choking.
This has been so stressful for the entire family. Madison is scared out of her wits when he starts screaming, she begins to cry as well. So, one of us tries to comfort Spencer while the other tries to comfort Madison.
We have been living day to day. We don't think about anything too far in advanced because frankly we are just worried about having clean clothes, clean dishes and food to eat - everything else can wait.
We check in Monday with the pediatrician to let him know how this new batch of medicine is working. If that doesn't work, then we are going to switch to a different type of medicine.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm so sorry. Let me know if I can help with anything. I'll be praying that the new medicine works and Spencer will get back to normal quickly. Hope you guys get some rest this weekend.