Thursday, August 13, 2009

Three Became Four

I am sitting here at my laptop during my lunch hour reflecting on the past year. Last year at this time I was in the hospital in labor with Spencer. My pregnancy was so bad and stressful it was surreal that it was going to end on a happy note with the birth of our baby boy. That baby boy arrived at 2:45pm and was healthy and alert, smaller than expected, but healthy. He spent the next two days with no name. We didn't have a name for him and didn't even have a short list. We listed all the possible names on the wipe board in the hospital room. It quickly became a tally board as friends, doctors and nurses put a mark next to their favorite name.

The hospital staff REALLY doesn't like it when you don't have a name and the administrative assistant who is in charge of filing the paperwork to document their birth and to obtain their social security card really gets nervous when you don't have a name picked out, especially on the day of check out.

Spencer was never a name we had thought of. Our friend Clay came up with the name and it seemed to fit. He has went by a lot of other names over the past year: Snert, Little Man, bubby, buddy, Spence and Justin's favorite, boy.

We each have our own little nickname and special place in our hearts for him. For so long it was just the three of us and now I can't imagine life without him. Each day I drive home in horrible traffic knowing that at the end of the road is his little feet running to see me.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Happy Birthday to my wonderful Spencie! I love him too much! Thanks for letting us be a part of your family.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Spencer!!

Natashia said...

I can't believe he is a year old already!

theharrisgirl said...

Hopefully one day we can meet you! Until then take good care of your family that loves you.

Heather & your birthday buddy, Hudson

Shyla said...

Happy (belated) birthday Spencer! Glad you decided to join us. Things wouldn't be the same without ya!