Sunday, October 30, 2011

Light the Night Walk

Last weekend we walked in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walk. This walk has three purposes:


  1. Support the LLS through donations and awareness

  2. Remember those that lost their lives to the disease

  3. Remember those that have fought and survived

Justin's work, Boeing, sponsored a group to walk for the second year in a row. Last year Justin and Madison walked. This year, the whole family took to the evening air.






Group Boeing

What is really neat about the event is that it takes place at night. Each person is given a balloon:




Red is for support, white is for survival and yellow is for remembrance. As dusk approaches, we flip the switch and the balloons light up. This is such a sight to see. I wish I had better pictures to show. Needless to say, it was an event that we will continue to do each year.

Each day I test patients in our laboratory that are diagnosed with leukemias. While I don't meet the patients, I get to know their names. Many of the patients we test on a regular basis. For some patients, the test results we supply is the first indication that leukemia is present.

Friday afternoon was rough, three patients were being tested, all newly diagnosed leukemias. Two 4 year olds and a 3 month old. By the end of the day their results revealed that their prognosis was very poor and most likely would not live another two years.

These days at work are hard. I can't imagine being that parent. I do what I can, go home and kiss my own kids and say a prayer.

No comments: