Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolution

By now some of you may have already broken your New Year's Resolution, while I am just now pondering mine. In reality, I don't think it is a resolution, but more of an awakening.
During this past year I have relied heavily on friends and family. More than once I have called to vent or cry or do both. It wasn't the fact that they listened, it was what they did afterwards that has made a huge difference this year.

The friends that called me just to ask, "how are you doing?" No text, no e-mail, no Facebook post. A simple, but yet, powerful phone call. Yes, it takes more time, but that is why the phone call is so profound, it is heartfelt with a human voice on the other end and for some days, was the highlight of the day.

Electronics have taken over our planet and while I am not immune to these wonderful technological advances, the communications that meant the most to me was a hand written card arriving in the mail.

Small things can make a huge difference in someone's life. A hot home-made meal the day after moving in was a priceless gift.

Spencer being taken to the zoo for the day so we could unpack was a life-saver.




Friend's dropping by just to see how I was after surgery was such a highlight.


These aren't things I asked for, it was done because of love and friendship. So my resolutions this year are to write more and use electronics less. Be aware of others needs and act upon those needs; don't wait to be asked. A hot meal, a handwritten card or a phone call can brighten someone's day, just as it has brightened mine.

Happy New Year everyone.

1 comment:

Becky said...

It's amazing how we have de-personalized EVERYTHING...one of the reasons I don't do facebook.