Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pay It Forward

I'm sure we have all heard about Pay It Forward. A complete stranger does something nice for another complete stranger. Today, I was the recipient of a Pay It Forward.

I went to the hospital cafeteria to eat today. I never bring my purse, just my debit card. I hit the salad bar, some soup and a drink. I paid with my debit card and DENIED! My debit card was brand new and Justin activated it for me, but it wouldn't work. There I stood with a horrified look on my face, embarrassed and asking the cashier to put my food aside while I walk back over to my building across the street, go up to the 4th floor and get my purse and come back.
The lady behind me, said not to worry about it, she covered my lunch today. I asked her which floor was she on and I would kindly repay her. She told me not to worry about, a stranger had paid for her lunch a few weeks ago, so it was her way to pay it forward. I promised I would also pay it forward and thanked her for the upteenth million time.
So, I got to thinking about how I could pay it forward. It's kinda fun. I will let you know what I end up doing. For now, here is something to think about, how would you pay it forward? What would you do for a complete stranger? Would you buy the person behind you in the fast food line a drink, a cup of coffee or lunch? Would you put money in an expired parking meter? What would you do? I'd love to hear you ideas!

3 comments:

Shyla said...

I think the importance of paying it forward is spontaneity. The whole point is that the kindness is needed when it is unexpected. So I think the lesson here is to keep your eyes and ears open for that moment where a stranger in in unexpected need. No matter what you do I'm sure you will both bless others and be blessed through this.

Kayla said...

After our crazy trip on the way to Jamaica (mechanical delay, missed connection, turbulence, and lost luggage), the airline gave us more vouchers to use in the airport than we could use before they expired. So we had a great time treating LOTS of people in line to their morning breakfast at the Caribou Coffee in the Atlanta Airport.

We still had some vouchers left over and saw a priest with a group of high school kids who must have been on a missionary trip so we gave the rest of the vouchers to them. It was great to see everyone's reaction!

HMK said...

We live on the border of PA/NJ/DE and often have to use the bridges. The tolls are $4 to use the brige. We often pay the toll for the car behind us... what a surprise getting to the toll both with your $4 out and not having to pay. I always have the hopes that they will pay anyway for the car behind them...