Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Long Couple of Days

This is a long post, but there is much to vent about.

A Very Long Tuesday
The past few days have been very tiresome (as if having a newborn isn't tiresome anyway). It all began Monday night into Tuesday morning when Spencer began vomiting after his 2am feeding. The 5am feeding came and more vomiting and spit up. He obviously had an upset tummy! He cried and cried until finally falling asleep at 7am. At his 9am feeding, same thing. Finally at 11am I called the pediatrician and they told me to give him a 1/2 teaspoon of Emetrol (used to help with an upset stomach). I couldn't find it in the pharmacy so I asked the pharmacist and she looked at me funny and said that she didn't think it was for infants. I went ahead and bought it and got home and read the directions. Sure enough it said for children 2-12 years old. There was no mention of infants or even the disclaimer of "children under 2 contact your physician." I was kinda worried about giving this to him, especially when a 2 year old gets a teaspoon and they were telling me to give him a 1/2 teaspoon?
SO - I used a syringe and gave him just a couple of drops. Here is where the scary part came in. He went from crying and fussing to being completely asleep within 5 minutes. I SOOOOOO thought I overdosed my own child. I held him for the next 45 minutes watching him breathe to make sure I didn't harm my own child! He slept for a LONG time. The medicine worked and he didn't vomit any more, but continued to cry after every feeding and generally be in pain.

Blood and Black Eye
While I have tended to Spencer's upset tummy, Madison invited, what seemed like, the entire neighborhood to jump on the trampoline. We DO have rules in regards to how many kids are on it at one time and I must say they were following the rules, BUT, kids still get hurt. One of the neighbor kids was trying to do a flip and landed on his face (he wears glasses). Madison comes in and asks for a band aid. I asked what it was for, her response: "Josh landed on his face and he is bleeding." Are you kidding me, not only am I dealing with my own son crying and screaming, now I have to deal with someone else's! Okay - his glasses jammed his face and yes he was bleeding and probably ended up with a black eye. So, with crying baby in one arm, I took Josh home and explained to his father what happened. What possibly could be next?

Wednesday
Same as Tuesday without the vomiting and possible overdose. I went to the Internet to try and find out what was going on. After many searches and ruling out things like the formula and reflux, I figured out that it was the bottle/nipples. He was sucking the nipple so hard that it was collapsing and he was sucking in a TON of air, thus AIR BUBBLES = GAS.
I happen to have a different kind of bottle/nipples, so we gave those a shot last night. At the 10:30 feeding, no vomit, no spit up. At the 2am feeding, no vomit and no spit up. I was getting excited! He has continued to eat better and has an occasionally spit up, but it is more of the normal kind and not 1/2 of his bottle. He wasn't screaming after each feeding either, which I took as a very good sign! Things are looking positive.......

Thursday
The Mother of all Baby Stores - Babies R Us
NOW - I needed to go and get more of the bottle/nipples because I didn't have very many of them. Target and Walmart didn't carry what I needed, so I decided to venture to Babies R Us. It is a 1/2 hour drive, but I decided it was worth it. I get to the store and I see the Advent brand of bottles, but 1/2 of the shelves are empty. Okay, this was the first bad sign. They had the nipples I needed to fit the bottles, but I needed some sealing discs, I couldn't find those anywhere. I asked someone for help and sure enough, they didn't have any. I asked her if she could check in the back to see. She answered me with one word, "NO."
OKAY folks, now I am mad. Not only did I drag out my newborn, drive a 1/2 hour, probably spent $10 in gas to come to the mother of all baby stores only to find out that they don't have a basic item in stock and the sales associate can't even check to see if it is in the back. Are you seriously kidding me? GGGRRRR So, I drive a 1/2 hour home. I was gone a total of an 1 1/2 hours, an hour of it was driving.

I need to get groceries, but I also need to get home for when Madison gets off of the bus, so I do go home. Later on that day...

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
Madison has a routine she has to follow when she gets home and homework is obviously a priority. She said she had math homework and needed help. For those of you that don't have a 5th grader, let me share I thing with you. If I were on the TV show, "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" I have to answer that NO. There is new thing they teach called MATH, maybe some of you have heard of it. Well, it is NOT the same math that we were taught as kids. I can do her homework, but she has no idea how I do it because she was taught differently. So, I do what I do best and say, "dad will help you when he gets home." Justin and Madison's brains are wired the same, mine is not. I will do the science, he can do the math.

I still need to get groceries. A bit later...

Burning Down the House
Justin comes home early and since I haven't gotten groceries we decide to cook some quick frozen hamburgers on the grill. He begins the grilling and I am working on the side dishes. He comes in after 10 minutes or so and tells me the hamburgers will be a bit longer, he has to get new ones. What? Ehhh? Evidently the hamburgers were on fire and the house filled with smoke. I'm not sure how this happened, but when he brought them in, they looked like hockey pucks. We did finally get to eat and I finally get to go to the grocery store - no husband, no kids.

Getting Groceries and Caffienne
I finally get to go to Super Target to get groceries. There is a Starbucks in the Super Target and I treated myself to a LARGE iced coffee. I have gotten used to cold coffee lately. My list for Target was not very big, but I figured that I needed to check every isle very carefully before I decided that I had to go home. (I really liked the peace and quiet of Target and I didn't have to worry about a dirty diaper or math homework, so I stayed as long as possible). It was very strange to be purchasing bras for my 5th grader (who would absolutely kill me if she knew I was writing this) and diapers at the same time. Strange, very strange.

Well, it is now much later and into Friday. Spencer finally went to sleep (I started writing this blog before midnight and now it is after 1am). I haven't noticed any spewing or spitup, so I think it is safe to go to bed now. I hope today is a better day, what else can happen?

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm so glad the day got better for you. If you need some girl time, just give me a call and we can go to Starbucks together!! Love ya.