She finished one in July and began working on her service project as well. She decided to help a family friend who hit a really rough spot. Both parents work and have insurance, but it still wasn't enough to pay for the mounting medical bills due to her husband's poor health. Bills mounted and they used what money they had to move into a less expensive house to try and save money.
The bills kept coming and her husband eventually had to take a leave of absence from work. Red tape and paper work stalled short-term disability checks from coming in and daycare needed to be paid for their 3 year old.
Madison decided to step in. Her service project was going to be raising money to help pay for the daycare expenses, so they could use daycare money elsewhere.
Madison and I baked and baked one Saturday afternoon and her mentor, Cindy, baked from her house and we met at church the next morning to set up.
We had multiple kids of cookies, breads and cupcakes. We were ready for the two services (8:30am and 11am).
By 9:30 the table was EMPTY. OH, NO we ran out! Cindy and I looked at each other and decided that next weekend we had to bake WAAAAYYY more. It was great for Madison to see how everyday people opened their hearts and their wallets to help for a good cause. Everything was by donation only and she made about $350 the first day.
The following weekend, I planned what to bake and Madison went to Cindy's house to help her.
The beer bread I made the week before sold out fast, so I made 15 loaves this time around.
Madison and Cindy made cake pops and Madison was armed with the frosting tubes!
When it was all said and done, Madison raised over $800 to give to the daycare. This ended up covering about 6 weeks of daycare expenses for the family.
I am so incredibly proud of my beautiful, intelligent and thoughtful daughter.




2 comments:
Madison,
We are so proud of you too! Your service for this family is commendable.
Love,
Jayson, Kayla, Zach & Wolf
I am so proud of her for picking such a worthy cause and for making a difference in someone's life.
Post a Comment