Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Moore Outdoor Musical Festival

Saturday was the band's first contest and WOW, what a day. First the temperature was supposed to be 82 degrees. Nope, nada, not even close. It was at least 95 degrees and not a cloud in sight. The aluminum bleachers at the stadium just reflected more of the sun beams back into our faces. ICK!
Preliminaries were held during the day and it finally cooled down into the evening for the final show.
There were 14 bands that competed and here is a look behind the scenes while we waited for the final performance time.
 Thumbs up from the drum majors (L-R) Hunter, Madi, and Sarah
Hanging out in the bus (only place with shade) is (L-R) Kerry, Melissa, Madison, John and Lyric.

The band did an excellent job during there finals performance, but I am not a judge and I am rather biased.
 Can you find Madison in the photo above?  She is on the 45 yard line, 2nd from the front. I can always find her when she starts, but I loose her once they get into the performance.
 After all of the bands perform, massing takes place. Massing is when each band marches onto the field in the order they performed in preparation for the awards.
Each band presents their drum majors to accept the trophy. Ours happened to be 2nd Place! Woot, woot! How exciting for their first contest. Unfortunately, two of the most difficult contests are yet to come and the band has to be put their "closing" into the show piece. They are working hard this week to get it all together.

Our band has 189 students. Being a band parent means feeding them, helping them get their uniforms on, keeping them hydrated and just general support. I have found that I have to be all of the above to more than just my child because there are many parents who, let's say, don't do things above. So, I have adopted a few kids this year, but better me than no one. I am happy to be part of an organization that takes the time to make sure these kiddos are cared for and get the support they deserve!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I am seriously excited about Owasso!